Friday, September 12, 2008


Seven years ago Kim called in sick to work. He was spending the day in bed while I was downstairs in the kitchen innocently making up a new recipe for a recipe contest with one of our neighbors. Another neighbor, Laralee, called to see if we had heard about an airplane crashing into one of the twin towers. I hurried up to the bedroom to turn the t.v. on and we watched at this amazing scene. We had a little 5 inch portable t.v. that Kim Walker and I set up in the kitchen. And as the day unfolded it wasn't just a stray airplane, but this planned sequence of events...another plane, another tower, the pentagon, the plane crash in a field in Pennsylvania, the collapse...
Yesterday as I rolled over to turn off my alarm clock a rush of nausea came over me. I was able to drag myself down to the livingroom to say "good-bye" to Brandon as he headed off to school. But that was it. After staying on the couch long enough to send Spencer out the door (thank goodness he is independent enough to get himself off) I made it back up to the bedroom where I spent the rest of the day.
Wow! Seven years later. I saw little spots about the twin towers here and there throughout the day, but didn't focus on it. It would have been too much. As Kim and I were going to bed we watched the History channel. We watched the day unfold through images people had captured on their own cameras. It is always incredible to see that plane fly into the tower. Even more incredible is the unexpected collapse. Where a building once was...no more. Then repeated with the next building.
It was a nice remembrance. It is nice to remember. We won't ever forget. I am thankful that life goes on and hopefully we learn, and have hope for the future.

No comments: